Tuesday 21 April 2009

I Did It!

I am feeling on top of the world today people because I went to my dentist treatment appointment yesterday and it was great! I felt fine leading up to it but just in case I had a last minute freakout the dentist had given me some happy pills (can't think of the technical term) to take a half hour before my treatment. I was supposed to get to the office half hour before and take them in the waiting room because I had never taken anything like that before and they wern't sure how I would react. However I was a little late so I took them in the car on the way over (it's ok I wasn't driving). I waited for these dream pills to kick in ....an waited .....and waited lol but I didn't feel any effect from them. Apparently it can be hard to judge the dosage to give someone if they have never had them before so it the effects can vary greatly.

As it turned out though it didn't really matter as I was still feeling fine about going for the treatment :-) The dentist was really nice, he checked I was ok to go ahead even though the pills hadn't had an effect and he asked if I wanted to do the filling or the cleaning today. I didn't really mind at this point so he said since the filling was so tiny we would go ahead with the cleaning at this appt and work up to the filling.

I had LS injections so that I would feel anything and im so happy to say these were fine! He is going to do the cleaning in 4 seperate visits so that I don't have too much to go through each time so yesterday I had the upper right side of my mouth done. The whole thing was such a breeze that I can't believe I was so scared of the dentist for all those years! The injections did take a while but the dentist eplained this was because theyare less painfull if you do them slower so he had no complaints from me there! I did feel tiny little stings at times but in no way was it unbearable :-)

I mention in an earlier post a dental fear forum that I had been visiting and I remembered a poster on there had said that he didn't close his eyes when having injections done because then you are cutting off one of your senses and focusing more on the others e.g. the feeling of the needle in your mouth! So, and I was so proud of myself here, I kept my eyes open and even had a sneaky peek at the needle to reassure myself that it wasn't some massive scary thing!

The whole thing didn't take long at all and was such a breeze. Im so so chuffed that I now have a dentist and can have treatment, it's such a weight off my mind. For so long my dental fear was this awful thing hanging over my head, always worrying me slightly, now I feel free! I actually feel like there is nothing I can't do at the moment :-)

I still have another 3 cleaning appts and 1 filling appt to go but im honestly not worried about it! Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment