Sunday 25 October 2009

Recipes

Hey, well I am trying hard to stick to my healthy eating even though I don't always manage it! I have had a few slip up's since I've been back from Nepal and it's kept my weight at 11 stone exactly.

I have found an excellent book from the library, it's a recipe book with high energy foods but with a low GI so they aid weight loss, health and vitality.

So far I have tried one recipe out of it - the Morning Muffins and I thought they were really tasty. The stats per muffin are:

kcal - 212
fat - 5g (0.6g saturated)
protein - 5g
carbohydrates - 39g

I will give you the recipe if you fancy trying them out but one word of warning - it says to use chopped apricots and it really does mean this. I forgot to chop mine and so some muffins ended up with whole dried apricots in them and some ended up with none! Not ideal.

You will need:

170g dried apricots, coarsely CHOPPED
170g unsweetened museli
250g self-raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
250ml unsweetened apple juice
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
100ml honey
1 large egg
A 12 hole muffin tin lined with 12 paper cases

This recipe makes 12 and takes 12 minutes of prep time.

-Put the apricots, muesli, flour and baking powder in a large mixing bowl and stir.

-In a separate bowl, mix the apple juice, oil, honey and egg.

-Fold into the dry ingredients, but do not over mix.

-Spoon the mixture into the paper muffin cases.

-Bake in a pre-heated oven at 190C (375F) Gas 5 for 20 minutes, until golden and risen.

-Remove from the oven and serve immediately, or transfer to a wire rack to cool.

-Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

This was a really easy recipe I thought and the muffins do taste great if you like that sort of thing. I realise it's not for everybody though as only me and my Mum actually liked the one's I made. I like to have one for breakfast every now and again as they are quite dense so nice and filling.

The author of the book is Rachael Ann Hill and her website is http://www.rachaelannehill.com/ there is loads of info on this site about diet, fitness and health and you can check out the best-selling author section if you want a link to her book.

No comments:

Post a Comment